1870 Yates House
The 1870 Yates House was originally located at 1318 Andrews Street in Freedmen's Town. The simplified Greek Revival home was built by the Reverend John Henry Yates, an emancipated slave who later served as the minister for Antioch Baptist Church and founder of Bethel Baptist Church. He also helped to organize the Houston Academy in 1894. Construction of this house a mere five years after Emancipation illustrates the indomitable spirit of a formerly enslaved population that was transitioning into a free society in Houston.
Donated by the Yates family to The Heritage Society, the house was moved to Sam Houston Park in 1994. It is furnished to represent the family's lifestyle in the late 19th century, and includes some of the furniture that was in the house when the family still lived there.
See the map below for the original location of the 1870 Yates House at 1318 Andrews Street.