The 1891 St. John Church was built by German farmers in northwest
Harris County for their Evangelical Lutheran congregation. The church is
a vernacular interpretation of the Gothic Revival style of architecture
from the 19th century. Elements of the Gothic Revival style are evident
in the church’s arched windows and shutters. The structure was moved
from its original site on Mangum Road to Sam Houston Park in 1968. The
handmade cypress plank pews in the interior attest to the “can do”
spirit that built this elegantly simple place of worship.