1847 Kellum-Noble House
The Kellum-Noble House is the oldest surviving building constructed in Houston. Even more remarkable, it stands on its original foundation and retains its original brick walls made with mud from Nathaniel Kellum’s brickyard on the banks of nearby Buffalo Bayou. From its location on the edge of what is now a major downtown business district, Kellum-Noble has witnessed the phenomenal growth of our city for more than a century.
The house was built in 1847 by Nathaniel Kellum, who had arrived in the young city of Houston, Republic of Texas, in 1839. It later was home to the Noble family, and during this time Zerviah Noble and her daughter Catherine operated one of the areas earliest schools in the house.
In 1899, the City of Houston purchased the house as part of the property for Houston’s first municipal park. The house served as a showpiece and a residence for the park keeper. For a short time, its grounds were the site of Houston’s first zoo. The Heritage Society was founded in 1954 to save Kellum-Noble, and its place in history, for future generations.