Duncan General Store
The Duncan General Store in The Heritage Society Museum Gallery is a replica of an actual store that existed in Texas in the late 19th century. The store was built and operated by Green Cameron Duncan (1841 – 1910), a Kentucky native, who came to Texas after the Civil War. In 1872 he purchased 1,312 acres in Wharton County, and in a few years had established his general store in the town of Egypt, Texas.
The Egypt store sold everything from food to coffins. A meat market was added shortly after opening as well as a lumber yard and saddlery. The merchandise for the Egypt store was hauled in by horse and wagon from the railroad station at Hungerford until the Cane Belt Railroad came to Egypt in 1900. At this time, a corner of the store became the Egypt, Texas United States Post Office.
The majority of the items in this exhibit were part of the original Duncan store inventory.
1911 Ford Model T
In Harris County, the number of cars increased from just over 1,000 in 1911 to almost 100,000 by 1930. Prior to the automobile, the streetcar system was the preferred mode of transportation.
The effect of the automobile on Houston’s landscape was profound. Along with cars came the need for better roads, parking, car dealerships, gas stations, mechanic shops, and even new laws to regulate traffic.